The Archive forum for www.Staffs-VW.co.uk
Please use www.staffs-vw.co.uk for the NEW FORUM as this forum is now locked and you will only be able to view not post.

Please use www.staffs-vw.co.uk for the NEW FORUM as this forum is now locked and you will only be able to view not post.

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

THIS SITE IS LOCKED FOR VIEWING ONLY - Please go to www.staffs-vw.co.uk for the NEW Forum

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
::CHECK OUT THE NEW FORUM - WWW.STAFFS-VW.CO.UK - JOIN UP NOW  - WWW.STAFFS-VW.CO.UK  - JOIN UP NOW  - WWW.STAFFS-VW.CO.UK  - JOIN UP NOW  WWW.STAFFS-VW.CO.UK  - JOIN UP NOW  WWW.STAFFS-VW.CO.UK  - JOIN UP NOW  - WWW.STAFFS-VW.CO.UK  - WWW.STAFFS-VW.CO.UK  - JOIN UP NOW  - WWW.STAFFS-VW.CO.UK -  JOIN UP NOW  ::

Share | 

Coppers on about tyre stretch.

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Air-Alex
Banned

Coppers on about tyre stretch. Vide
PostSubject: Coppers on about tyre stretch. Coppers on about tyre stretch. EmptyWed Jul 29, 2009 11:18 pm

http://www.ukpoliceonline.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=24937
Thought this was quite funny, seems like most coppers are unsure of the laws! :lol:
Back to top Go down
robbodred
staffs.V.duber
robbodred

PostSubject: Re: Coppers on about tyre stretch. Coppers on about tyre stretch. EmptySun Aug 02, 2009 9:54 am

Hahaha none of em have a clue!
Back to top Go down
Jon
Jon

Coppers on about tyre stretch. Vide http://www.staffs-vw.co.uk
PostSubject: Re: Coppers on about tyre stretch. Coppers on about tyre stretch. EmptySun Aug 02, 2009 9:58 am

There isn't a law at all on stretch, just poke..

But what they can use is the "unfit for road" due to having the incorrect tyres fitted for the size of wheel..
Back to top Go down
robbodred
staffs.V.duber
robbodred

PostSubject: Re: Coppers on about tyre stretch. Coppers on about tyre stretch. EmptySun Aug 02, 2009 10:13 am

so do you think you could actually get pulled for stretch then?
Back to top Go down
Jon
Jon

PostSubject: Re: Coppers on about tyre stretch. Coppers on about tyre stretch. EmptySun Aug 02, 2009 1:44 pm

All depends on the copper! If they want to pull you they will.. It's just one of those things.. Same as running german plates! We do it because it looks good and in respect of the tyres some of us need to stretch due to the offset of wheels fitted...
Back to top Go down
wrighty
wrighty

PostSubject: Re: Coppers on about tyre stretch. Coppers on about tyre stretch. EmptySun Aug 02, 2009 4:25 pm

ive been pulled twice for german plates and my old man has so i dont bother with them anymore shame really as i think they look well cool espically with the d and some different spaces
Back to top Go down
wrighty
wrighty

PostSubject: Re: Coppers on about tyre stretch. Coppers on about tyre stretch. EmptySun Aug 02, 2009 4:43 pm

ive just read this whole thing and ive never heard so much S**t in my life these people need to chill out a bit! all that and there was still no define answer by page 3
Back to top Go down
MK 1 Shade
MK 1 Shade

PostSubject: Re: Coppers on about tyre stretch. Coppers on about tyre stretch. EmptyThu Aug 06, 2009 5:29 pm

Quote "The picture in the first post looks like the rear wing of a Reliant Robin" What a tit!

Just a bunch of retard coppers trying to ruin someone else's fun!!
Just proves that if they really want to they can stick you for something. Barstewards!
Back to top Go down
wrighty
wrighty

PostSubject: Re: Coppers on about tyre stretch. Coppers on about tyre stretch. EmptyThu Aug 06, 2009 9:30 pm

yeah i know id love to quote some stuff in there to news papers like the " if it looks dodgy then it must be illegal"
Back to top Go down
kingy89
Junior Poster
kingy89

PostSubject: Re: Coppers on about tyre stretch. Coppers on about tyre stretch. EmptyThu Aug 06, 2009 9:34 pm

Ive been pulled a few times when i had my alleycats on with quite abit of stretch Sad They've never actually been able to do anything though as i always say show me something that says tyre streatch is illegal and they cannt lol
Back to top Go down
M7R
Junior Poster

Coppers on about tyre stretch. Vide http://www.vwgolfmk1.org.uk
PostSubject: Re: Coppers on about tyre stretch. Coppers on about tyre stretch. EmptyThu Aug 13, 2009 11:42 am

This bloke knows his stuff...

Quote :
The answer then and now I would suggest lies with the manufacturer and the simple fact is that Car designers have to comply with a whole host of legislation and specification requirements before a design is allowed onto European roads. Would the vehicle qualify for a certificate of compliance if those wheels were fitted to it? If the answer is 'no' from the manufacturers then such a modification is illegal.

And I'm sure that the tyre companies would have an opinion on this as well tyres are designed to withstand certain pressures and so on to meet road conditions.

But in my opinion if the driver cannot show that wheels fitted are within the specifications of the model of the vehicle then they are outside of the construction and use regulations under these circumstances.

I agree alot of the coppers arent sure on the rules but the essence is that before a car is sold in europe it must meet the current regs and directives (this is my job, witnessing the testing and making sure all is above board for vehicles and their components and systems approved by the UK govenment, e11 / E11) BUT once a car is sold it must comply with "Construction and use" which are UK specific regualtions, these regs basically just refer back to the european regs.

so for that they tyre should be mounted on the correct sized rim as stipulated by the tyre manufacture, and heres the one where most folk fall foul when running stretch....

the WHEEL must be covered fully by the wheel arch / gaurd through an angle of 30deg forward and 50 deg rearward of the centre line through the hub vertically,

This means that the old "the tread is covered when viewed from above" line means sod all, and if the copper pulls you over and he know his stuff you could well be facing a fine and or points for each wheel that does not comply Wink

there are also other concers esp when running stretch and camber as tu will overheat and overlead the inside shoulder of the tyre which couldlead to a failure of the tyre and a crash, and in this case you dont have a leg to stand on when it comes to criminal charges and the insurance as it could be proved it was down to the wheel / suspension set up as to why the tyre failed.

you have been warned. :bounce:
Back to top Go down
Jimski
Junior Poster
Jimski

PostSubject: Re: Coppers on about tyre stretch. Coppers on about tyre stretch. EmptyThu Aug 13, 2009 11:45 am

In all fairness i think there were some tests done about giving stretched tyres some beans and a high percentage did pop off under hard cornering blah blah.

So im pretty sure the people that do this are well aware?

Give coppers a break lol, they aint all bad Tongue ahem

Jimski
Back to top Go down
Jon
Jon

PostSubject: Re: Coppers on about tyre stretch. Coppers on about tyre stretch. EmptyThu Aug 13, 2009 12:37 pm

Quote :

the WHEEL must be covered fully by the wheel arch / gaurd through an angle of 30deg forward and 50 deg rearward of the centre line through the hub vertically,

This means that the old "the tread is covered when viewed from above" line means sod all, and if the copper pulls you over and he know his stuff you could well be facing a fine and or points for each wheel that does not comply Wink

hmmm... think they want to look closer to home before they look at us..... check out the poke from the wheel centers....

Coppers on about tyre stretch. 281483
Back to top Go down
M7R
Junior Poster

Coppers on about tyre stretch. Vide http://www.vwgolfmk1.org.uk
PostSubject: Re: Coppers on about tyre stretch. Coppers on about tyre stretch. EmptyThu Aug 13, 2009 1:16 pm

aahhh well you see, exterior projectios - 74/483/EEC consolidated to 2007/15/EC Exterior Projections - allows for this....

6.7.2. The wheels, wheel nuts, hub caps and wheel discs shall not exhibit any pointed or sharp projections that extend beyond the external plane of the wheel rim. Wing nuts shall not be allowed

6.7.3. When the vehicle is travelling in a straight line, no part of the wheels other than the tyres, situated above the horizontal plane passing through their axis of rotation shall project beyond the vertical projection, in a horizontal plane, of the external surface or structure. However, if functional requirements so warrant, wheel discs which cover wheel and hub nuts may project beyond the vertical projection of the external surface or structure on condition that the radius of curvature of the surface of the projecting part is not less than 30mm and that the projection beyond the vertical projection of the external surface or structure in no case exceeds 30mm

so you see the nuts are allowed to poke a little provided they are covered by a cover as described that meets the exterior projector directive.
Back to top Go down
Jon
Jon

PostSubject: Re: Coppers on about tyre stretch. Coppers on about tyre stretch. EmptyThu Aug 13, 2009 2:00 pm

so basically they bend the law to suit their needs.... :P
Back to top Go down
Jon
Jon

PostSubject: Re: Coppers on about tyre stretch. Coppers on about tyre stretch. EmptyThu Aug 13, 2009 2:05 pm

at the end of the day, stretch and poke will always be around... those folk who stretch know that speed is not an option, more often or not its for cosmetic purposes and practicality due to fitment of wheel.

its like most things fitted to a car, its personal choice.

so the person carrying out any of these mods to their vehicle knows the risks involved.
Back to top Go down
butlerlm
Staffs-VW car of the year 2010

PostSubject: Re: Coppers on about tyre stretch. Coppers on about tyre stretch. EmptySat Aug 15, 2009 9:54 am

Its silly tbh, but its true everyone who does a mod like that no's the score!=

but if this guy pulled me for it ever id deffo pull over!

Coppers on about tyre stretch. Eurp_0903_03_zessen_motor_show_2008
Back to top Go down
madmanmart
staffs.V.duber
madmanmart

PostSubject: Re: Coppers on about tyre stretch. Coppers on about tyre stretch. EmptySat Aug 15, 2009 10:10 am

That thread is as old as the internet.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Coppers on about tyre stretch. Coppers on about tyre stretch. Empty

Back to top Go down

Coppers on about tyre stretch.

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
The Archive forum for www.Staffs-VW.co.uk :: The Garage :: Technical Info... :: Rims & Rubber-